The Pennsylvania Veterinary Medical Association (PVMA) is pleased to offer its newly graduated members an opportunity for personal and professional development.
Based on an initiative generously supported by Elanco Animal Health as part of their commitment to the veterinary profession and state veterinary associations, the Power of Ten Leadership (P10) Academy is designed to cultivate leadership capacity in recent graduates and provide learning that will enrich them both personally and professionally.
Deadline to apply is July 15, 2018
What is P10?
The P10 Leadership Academy provides 10 recent graduates* with 6 leadership development sessions over a 12-month period. Sessions will include face-to-face sessions, online post-session discussions, and additional opportunities for involvement.
* Must have graduated from a college of veterinary medicine with a DVM/VMD
degree in the years 2012-2018.
Answer questions like:
What makes me tick?
- Now that I have a technical staff, how can I form, manage and lead an effective team?
- What can I give to my family, my community, and my profession that will be my legacy?
Over the year, you will learn:
- How the role of personality differences impacts the way we approach communications and relationships.
- How to become an effective leader and increase productivity in all aspects of your life regardless of your position or role.
How legal issues can impact practice ownership, how you practice veterinary medicine, and your employment.
- How to make well being and self-care a priority.
How to build an organizational culture that helps everyone focus on the team’s and practice’s mission.
How to effectively communicate with clients and co-workers and resolve conflicts.
How to manage your finances ensuring you and your likelihood are protected, personal budgeting and debt consolidation management.
The kick off is Thursday, August 16-Friday, August 17, 2018 at the Keystone Veterinary Conference (KVC) in Hershey, PA. Our first session will be a joint session with the graduating P10 class and academy alumni so you can hear about their experiences and build an additional network of peers.
The second session will be held Friday, August 17. As an additional bonus, you can register for KVC for $50 off regular member registration rates if you want to stay for more CE.
The rest of the program will be based on the direction you want to go as a class. We have suggestions on how we shape the program to meet your needs, but want to tailor it to you so we will discuss topics and speakers and confirm your interest as a class.
In addition to the in-person and online sessions, you will be invited to join us for Legislative Day at the state capitol building in spring 2019, and our Committee Day in fall 2018 and spring 2019.
What Is Included?
Learning and networking opportunities that will help you grow professionally and personally.
- Skills you can bring back and apply to help your veterinary practice grow as a team.
All meals, materials, and speakers.
- Significantly reduced registration to attend the conferences where our seminars will be held.
Opportunities to learn more about PVMA ,how to get involved, get to know our leadership, and give back to your profession here in Pennsylvania.
Build lasting bonds and a professional community of peers from across the state.
How Do I Apply?
- You must be a PVMA member to apply and participate.
- Your practice owner or supervisor should commit to supporting your involvement in this initiative since you will likely miss 4-6 days of work for these important sessions. They must complete the practice owner commitment form.
- Complete the P10 Application Form, return it by Friday July 13, 2018. Our selection committee will notify you by July 20, 2018. Our first class will be August 16-17 so please make sure your schedule is clear.
- We ask that you commit to missing a maximum of one session during the program.