grow with pvma's power of 10 leadership academy
The Pennsylvania Veterinary Medical Association (PVMA) is pleased to offer its members a new opportunity for personal and professional development. Based on an initiative generously supported by Elanco Animal Health as part of their commitment to the veterinary profession and state veterinary associations, the Power of Ten Leadership (P10) Academy is designed to cultivate leadership capacity in recent graduates and provide learning experiences that will enrich you as an individual and benefit the practice where you work, the community where you live, and the profession you love.
Answer questions like the following:
Answer questions like the following:
- "I finished veterinary school and I'm in practice-but how can I get a better grasp on what makes me tick?"
- "Now that I have a technical staff, how can I form, manage and lead an effective team?"
- "Who am I in the bigger picture, and what can I give to my family, my community, and my profession that will be my legacy?"
- "How do I balance all of my commitments without stressing myself out?"
- "How do I become a more effective communicator with those around me-my clients, support staff, team members, and family?"
The Power of Ten Leadership Academy provides ten recent graduates (graduated from a college of veterinary medicine with a DVM/VMD degree in the years 2009-2015) with 6 leadership development sessions over a 12-month period. PVMA will provide topic experts and meeting expenses at no charge for participants to attend sessions that not only convey the key learning points about leadership, but also deepen the understanding of academy members on a number of related topics. Sessions will include primarily face-to-face sessions but will include focuses for post session discussions and additional topics.
Session topics to include but not limited to:
- Personality Assessments: Understand yourself and others to develop effective strategies to deal with different or difficult people/colleagues.
- Communication: Understand what effective communication is and how it can change the way you interact with clients and staff.
- 5 Choices to Extraordinary Productivity: Brought to you by Franklin Covey, The Five ChoicesTM to Extraordinary Productivity process
- measurably increases productivity of individuals, teams, and organizations. Participants make more selective, high-impact choices about where to invest their valuable time, energy, and attention.
- Leadership: Understand the traits necessary to become an effective leader.
- Planning for Your Future and Legal Issues: Review different considerations in buying a practice, planning for your future, ensuring your livelihood is secure, and understanding the legal issues around practice and employment.
- Media Training: Manage social media, bad reviews, and interviews.
- Well-Being: Learn how to make a priority of self well-being, compassion fatigue, burn out, and balancing life and work.
We will kick off our program at the Keystone Veterinary Conference in Hershey on Friday, August 12, 2016, and Saturday, August 13, 2016. Our first two sessions will focus on well-being with Dr. Kimberly Pope-Robinson of 1life Connected Consulting and Communications with Dr. Tina Dougherty. For those selected, we will offer a special rate to attend the Keystone Veterinary Conference-$175 for the Full Conference and $125 for one-day.
The rest of the program will be based on your input as a class. We have suggestions but want your final input on how we shape the program to meet your needs. The tentative dates we will host the other 2 in-person seminars are:
- February 2017 (during PVMA's THRIVE 2017, Kalahari Resort, Pocono Manor)
- Thursday, August 10, 2017 (during Keystone Veterinary Conference, Hershey Lodge and Convention Center, Hershey) The program will conclude on Thursday, August 11. We will recognize the P10 participants at the PVMA Hall of Fame Luncheon
- Sunday, November 6, 2017
What is Included?
- Tremendous learning and networking opportunities that will help you grow professionally and personally
- Skills you can bring back and apply to help your veterinary practice grow as a team
- All meals, materials, and speakers
- Travel and hotel expenses as determined
- Significantly reduced registration to attend the conferences where our seminars will be held
- Opportunity to learn more about PVMA, get to know our leadership, and give back to your profession here in Pennsylvania
- Build lasting bonds and a professional community of peers from across the state
How Do I Apply?
- Members are PVMA's lifeblood and the sole reason we exist. Therefore, you must be a PVMA member to apply and participate.
- Your practice owner should commit to supporting your involvement in this initiative since it means you will likely miss 4-6 days of work for these important sessions. They must complete the practice owner commitment form.
- Complete the Power of Ten Leadership Academy Application Form, return it by July 11, and wait to hear from the selection committee. You will be notified by July 15, 2016. Our first class will be August 12-13 so please make sure your schedule is clear if you are interested in participating in P10.
What are people saying?
"P10 has been a tremendous experience! Although I must admit I signed up on a whim, the friendship and support I have gained is irreplaceable. As a small group over the last 10 months, we have grown, laughed, and at times even cried together. Our profession often isolates us to our practices and communities, so it is eye-opening to realize most of the struggles we face are universal. P10 addresses those struggles head on and equips you to manage them effectively. This is stuff they should be teaching in veterinary school."
-Dr. Arron Mailen, 2015 Power of Ten Participant
PVMA thanks Elanco Animal Health for their partnership on this important initiative!