Three positions are open, representing small animal practice (1 year initial term); large animal practice (2 year initial term); and non-clinical practice (3 year initial term). Applicants for these positions must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must be AVMA members
- May not be current or past diplomates of an AVMA-recognized veterinary specialty organization
- May not be actively pursuing board-certification
- May not be part of an organizing committee of an organization petitioning for AVMA-recognition as a veterinary specialty organization.
Members will be required to attend one in-person meeting of the ABVS at the AVMA headquarters in Schaumburg, Ill, (usually in late February or early March) and participate in phone- or web-based conference calls throughout the year.
Position details are as follows:
- Position: Veterinarian (non-board certified) representing small animal practice
Term: February 2018 – August 2019
- Position: Veterinarian (non-board certified) representing large animal practice
Term: February 2018 – August 2020
- Position: Veterinarian (non-board certified) representing non-clinical practice
Term: February 2018 – August 2021